Thursday, September 18, 2008

First Day of Preschool

So, today was a very momentous one. Our first born has started his school career. He will be going to a local rec center for preschool three days a week for three hours a day, which I feel is the perfect amount of time for him at this point. If we had the option of a half-day kindergarten next year, then I probably would have skipped preschool all together, mainly because I really enjoy having him home and I feel he gets a great education outside, exploring the world. Unfortunately, our city has a law against half-day kindergarten, which is so annoying to me, therefore we have to prepare him for a full day of school, five days a week, next year. The very thought of him being away from my side for such long periods of time makes me shudder, but I am hoping that this year of preschool will help me get used to this fact.
Anyway, the first words out of his mouth this morning were "I can't wait to go to school today!" which thrilled me to no end. You see, the past several weeks have been full of reminders and explanations of starting school, so he obviously had built up some anticipation for the big day. 
Above you can see that his breakfast was a special one. Usually, I serve him whatever I am in the mood to make, but today he was allowed to request whatever he wanted, which were pancakes and eggs. I went a bit overboard but surprisingly he ate it all (just not in one sitting). 
I was pretty much a ball of nerves the entire morning and during our walk to the center, which is several blocks up the street, I started to feel pretty emotional and had a hard time talking. I asked him how many hugs and kisses he wanted before I left (thanks, Nicole, for the suggestion) to which he answered ten. He remained pretty chipper but as we approached the building, he said "I hope I don't cry." I told him that it was okay if he does. Here he is in front of the building. I love the hands in this shot. To me, they are symbolic of my child breaking away from home.
 
As we entered the classroom, his positive attitude went right out the door.  His eyes instantly filled up and he began to hold on to me, saying he didn't want me to leave,  nor did  he want to play with any of the toys he saw. He even begged me to let Ivan stay with him.  I told him that Ivan and I would go home and stare at the clock, waiting to pick him up in three hours. He liked that and made me repeat it several times. So, I waited until almost all the other parents had gone so that his teachers were able to give him the attention that he needed.  I gave him his ten hugs and kisses and left as he cried big sad tears. Broke my heart.

But here he is after school holding his art work that is now hanging on the fridge. So happy and proud of himself. We made it through the first day!  Even though I have a bad feeling that things may get worse before they get better, I am confident that we will both get used to this whole school thing.


2 comments:

NME said...

That is a breakfast of champions. My lord!
And what a big boy he is now. Isn't it stunning?

With Noah I found that though there was an initial adjustment he was far more ready for school that I was. And I imagine he'll be far more ready for more school too. The kids are resilient and (so sad to say it) they learn easily how to be apart from us. It's human nature. Sniffle.

uncle bruce said...

Vic,
I am so proud of you. It takes a special scientist to be able to be away from home and go to school. Plus that was an amazing breakfast, just enough to give you the courage to make it through the day. Awesome!