Monday, June 9, 2008

Birthday Blues


My first baby turned four years old yesterday.  I can hardly believe it.
I keep thinking that if there were only a way that I could slow time down a bit, I would.
We had a great day of celebration. The instant he awoke, the "birthday boy" was glowing.  Seeing his excitement brought me back to the days when I felt my birthdays were super special, almost magical. Now I have to remind myself through out the day that it is my birthday because I keep forgetting. I keep getting confused about my age already, too.  Is that normal at 30?  
Anyway, we waited with much impatience for daddy's return from his bike ride (which was only about an hour, but what a long, anxious hour it was.) and then he frantically opened his presents.  He received a science kit, a bug habitat, bug vacuum, bugscope, a toy whale shark and marine iguana, the original Colorform set, a beginners scooter, a shark sticker book, and some little creatures. (Are we spoiling him?)  I would say he made out like a bandit.  After breakfast, he was already asking to pretend the morning over again. You see, we reenacted both Christmas and Easter for many months after they were over.  Such fun, I'll tell ya.
After playing with his new gear, he and his daddy headed out into the baking heat to watch a big bike race downtown.  While Ivan napped, I prepared for his kid party. Once they returned, all flushed and sweaty, Victor, my dear sister, Rachel, and I ran out to do some last minute errands,  buy balloons,  a ton of mini soft-pretzels and some extra fruit. We got home about 20 minutes before the first guests arrived. 
The party was a success even though it was held at our air-conditioned home instead of the park, which was the original plan.  Just too darn hot.  About ten kids came and they all seemed to have fun. Believe it or not, it wasn't as hectic as I had expected.  I had a baby pool set up out back, in which some of the kids splashed around.  There was some bubbles and hose fun, as well. For a lot of the time, the majority of the children played happily in Vic's tiny room.  I stayed away, dreading the damage, but fortunately the other parent's did a great job supervising. I got several reports that most of the time as the other kids were playing, Vic was quietly looking at his new books.  
I had planned to play some games, like "duck, duck, goose" and musical rug, but only one of the kids were into it so it didn't work out.  I guess they are still a bit too young for organized games, I don't know. 
Today has been rough.  Besides exhaustion, Victor is experiencing post-birthday blues, with some ridiculous melt-downs. We actually rewrapped his presents with newspaper (sans tape), and he pretended to open them all, acting surprised and happy. His new stuff is all over the house and Ivan can't help but notice and investigate everything. So, we are having issues with him not freaking out and sharing with his brother. 
Tonight, as I finished brushing his teeth, he sort of stared out into space and then said with a big grin, "I'm four, now!!"  I asked him,  "how does it feel?" in which he responded, enthusiastically, "it feels good."  
Thanks, Mike, for the great photo above, and also for his baby doll, Maylon Fish Hitch, whom he absolutely adores.

No comments: