Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Cutter and a Walker

Ivan has become a toddler. He can now walk a good distance by himself, although it is more like the swaggering waddle of a drunk than actual walking. Still, I can't believe it. My baby boy has mustered up enough confidence to let go of my hand or anything else that he is grabbing and just go for it. And he does the cutest thing while taking his first several steps; he puts both hands straight up in the air while pointing and shaking one of his fingers. I am trying to figure it out. I think it's like a little dance to help him release some of his nervous excitement. Or maybe somehow it helps him concentrate on balancing or something. I have no idea, but for whatever reason, it sure cracks me up. I know he won't be doing this hilarious move for much longer, so I am enjoying it while it lasts. It is also the sort of detail that I would forget in a matter of months... unless I watch the home video that I just took today. 
The only problem is that along with walking comes falling, and the poor thing has already done his share of crashing into things and bashing his head on sharp edges, like he did tonight. I held a bag of frozen spinach against his forehead and eye for as long as he could stand it, which wasn't very long. But he bounced back onto his feet right away.
For the past year, Victor has been absolutely obsessed with using his scissors to make "cut-outs." He uses our old National Geographics, or print-outs from the computer, or his out of date encyclopedia series, or anything at all, and cuts out things that he finds "cool", including the human heart, but mostly animals. He has really become an expert cutter at this point. The only problem was that he was starting to leave multiple piles of cut-outs all over the house, and I had had enough. So, now we are pasting them into a blank notebook which he has titled "Victor's Book of Science." This has proven to be a really great project, on which he has been fully focusing throughout the past several days. No videos even... he just wants to work on his book. Of course, I am really appreciating what a wonderfully quiet activity it is.

1 comment:

NME said...

YEAH Ivan. He's so adorable when he walks.
Ray does something similar with his hands. Just one of them, so it looks like he's waving hello and walking.
Victor's project is really quite impressive. When I have tried to suggest to Noah that he cut things out of magazines he just ends up ripping out full pages with no real thoughtful selection over content. And he's not so great with the scissors. It's definitely something I need to work on with him.