Friday, May 16, 2008

Gross, Yet Funny.

I took this photo after our dinner break at a rest stop. We went on a road trip today to visit my oldest dear friend, Julie, who lives about an hour away... on a good day with little traffic. Well, today was NOT one of those days.  It was a super rainy day and the roads were ridiculously jammed up. We had a long trip up and an even longer trip back. I was pretty close to going insane at certain points.  Like when Ivan was crying very sadly with big, big tears. I couldn't resist pulling over on the side of the highway many times to retrieve his fallen pacies and even to nurse him at one point. Not fun.  Fortunately, Vic was such a good boy and hardly complained.  At one point though after about two solid hours of travel, he announced "I HATE sitting here and sitting here, driving in the rain."  Now, I usually disapprove the use of this negative word, but at the time I couldn't agree with him more.  
Despite the nightmarish trip, we really had a great visit with lots of laughs. We went to a pancake house for lunch where I got a tuna melt and Vic, a hot dog.  (You see, we had waffles for breakfast and therefore, weren't in the mood for more sweet food.)  Then we visited this really great local museum of natural sciences, which of course meant we had an extremely happy boy on our hands.  Victor was in his element.  I mean, he just soaked it all up, as quickly as he could.  I even let him pick out three more creatures from the gift shop, but he has to wait to get them until his birthday which is less than a month away.  A lesson in patience.
So, about the picture.  How gross is this?  Who in there right mind would have thought this was an appropriate or sanitary spot for an infant/toddler seat?!?  Poor Ivan. I just couldn't resist putting him in there.  I mean, it really was convenient to strap him down somewhere for a minute and I knew it would be one funny flick. 
Don't worry, I immediately, completely scrubbed his hands.  

3 comments:

NME said...

I HATE sitting in the car in traffic - even more so now with crying children. I often think about what happens when families with small kids get stuck in one of those traffic situations where they sit for hours. What in the heck would I do?

And the picture - fantastic and YUCK!

Wendy's Brother said...

Woah! So gross and yet so funny! I hope you had his hands soaking in Purell the whole ride home. Those toilets are like STD petri dishes. Well, I guess if you were heading west on the PA turnpike you probably weren't too bad off. Lots of Mennonite women probably. If you were going north on the NJ Turnpike, all bets would be off. I would take him to get a four-week course of Cipro!

btw, the look on his face is classic. (See the enlarged version.) He looks like he's been through the ringer and is doing his best to put up with one last amusement for his mother.

Wendy's Brother said...

I just showed it to one of my friends at work. He thought you had put Ivan in a urinal. So I guess it could have been worse.