Saturday, May 10, 2008

Motherhood




I am utterly exhausted.  Never do I sleep the night uninterrupted. There are bags under my eyes and my brain is in a perpetual fog. Sometimes, I seriously wonder if I am becoming prematurely senile. I can't remember what I did yesterday, and poor Bryan becomes quite frustrated when I mindlessly put empty milk containers back in the fridge.
Laundry rules my life.  No matter how many loads I do in a day, there are many more waiting to get done. I can not walk around the house without tripping over toys and after cleaning them up, the house gets messy again, almost instantaneously.  My clothes are stretched out from constantly being pulled and are never without multiple stains.  My hair is overgrown but I can't seem to find the time to stop and make an appointment for a cut.  Even after ten months, the skin on my stomach is ridiculously stretched out.  My back aches every night after a long day of carrying my gigantic baby. 
I am in high demand around the clock.  Always needed.  Never a moment's peace.
Yet, I am happier than ever.  My life has more meaning and fulfillment than I could have imagined.  The pure love and intense pride I feel for my boys every second of the day makes all the chaos, all the insanity worthwhile.  I am truly blessed to be a mom.    

2 comments:

NME said...

Well said! And one hell of a mom you are. Happy Mother's Day.

Wendy's Brother said...

Another sublime posting, Wendy.

I laughed out loud when I read the part about your going senile. I can totally relate, and I don't even have any kids.